In the interest of being able to cross of the longest resident of my to do list, I finally made time to write a post on my latest culinary experiment. Can I still feel good about getting this done when it is a few months late?
As I said in my previous post, the Veneto region, and Venice in particular, is filled with delicious seafood recipes. Scampi alla Busara is one such recipe. Everyone is familiar with Shrimp Scampi, and this is a recipe that is similar but with a few twists. In the U.S., the word "scampi" is often used to describe a style of cooking in which shrimp, chicken, or another ingredient is sauteed in a garlic butter sauce. However, scampi actually refers to the name of a type of small lobster that is found in the Veneto region of Italy, among other places. So, this dish would traditionally be made with those small lobsters. Not having access to those, I substituted shrimp when I made this recipe. A little breadcrumb sprinkled over the top of the shrimp and toasted under the broiler added the perfect finishing touch. Serve this over spaghetti or rice and you have a great dinner with minimal effort!
Scampi alla Busara
Adapted from Mario Batali
1/4 cup butter, plus 1 tablespoon
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 pound shrimp, deveined and tails removed
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1 tablespoon parsley
salt and pepper to taste
- In a saute pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the breadcrumbs, and cook over medium heat just until the breadcrumbs are toasted. Set aside.
- In an oven-safe pan, combine the shrimp, olive oil and garlic. Cook over a medium heat until the shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and sprinkle the shrimp with the toasted breadcrumbs. Place under the broiler until the breadcrumbs darken, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp to a plate. Return the pan to the burner. Add the remaining 1/4 cup butter and stir over high heat for 1 minute. Season with parsley and salt and pepper to taste. If desired, whisk in 1 tablespoon flour to thicken the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp. Serve over rice or spaghetti.
Ryan's rating of Scampi alla Busara - 5. I actually made this twice. The first time, I went to write my post and couldn't find the picture I took of the dish. Ryan, devestated, said I would "just have to make it again." I'm starting to think he deleted the picture on purpose.
1 - Awful. If you make this again I'll shove a fork in my eye.
2 - Meh. It's not my favorite, but I won't threaten self-harm if it shows up again.
3 - Good. I wouldn't feel forced to order a pizza behind your back.
4 - Great! I will fight you for the leftovers.
5 - Love it! Make it again tomorrow. Or immediately and I will bathe in it.