Hope everyone celebrating had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays to incorporate Italian food. One of the key ingredients to Thanksgiving growing up was my mom's sausage bread. This recipe was such a hit that in later years she would actually bring an extra loaf just for my cousin, who raved about it every year. This year, Ryan and I celebrated the holiday with his family but had a mini-Thanksgiving for the two of us a couple days later so that I could incorporate some of my traditions. This was my first time trying to make my mom's sausage bread, and it was as wonderful as I remember it!
1 pound frozen bread or pizza dough, thawed
1 pound hot Italian sausage
8 ounces mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup romano cheese
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- When the dough is completely thawed, place in a lightly floured bowl. Cover with a wet towel and set aside for two hours to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the casings from the sausage. Crumble the sausage into a pan and thoroughly brown. Drain the sausage and allow to cool slightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a rectangle. Breaking up any remaining large chunks, spread the sausage over the dough, leaving about 1/2 inch around all edges. Sprinkle the mozzarella and romano cheeses and the parsley over the sausage.
- Starting at one of the narrow ends of the rectangle, roll the dough up. Pinch the edge to seal. Turn the edges underneath and pinch to seal. Place the bread seal side down on a greased cookie sheet.
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Brush lightly over the top of the bread.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top of the bread is golden brown. Serve warm
Ryan's rating of Sausage Bread - 5. Guess this will be making it's way back into my Thanksgiving meals from now on! Thanks, Ma!
1 - Awful. If you make this again I'll shove a fork in my eye.
2 - Meh. It's not my favorite, but I won't threaten self-harm if it shows up again.
3 - Good. I wouldn't feel forced to order a pizza behind your back.
4 - Great! I will fight you for the leftovers.
5 - Love it! Make it again tomorrow. Or immediately and I will bathe in it.