This time of year just might be my favorite for seasonal produce. This time of year is prime picking for one of my favorite vegetables: bell peppers. Raw, in salad, in stir fry...the possibilities are endless. One of my tried and true ways of cooking red bell peppers is to roast them. Now, I know I've mentioned this here before, but I realized that I hadn't actually given the method for roasting your own peppers.
This is actually a method that I learned in Italy. A group of us went to my roommate's father's house in Ascoli for a cookout. While we were there, he showed us how to roast red peppers over an open flame. The result is a pepper that is sweet and slightly smoky, and completely delicious. Once finished, you can do dozens of things with the peppers. One of my favorite uses is to make a panini with grilled chicken, mozzarella, basil pesto, and the roasted peppers. Most often though, you can find me eating the peppers piled high on sliced of toasted bread. The perfect snack or appetizer!
Roasted Red Peppers
3 red bell peppers
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary
- Peppers are best roasted over an open flame. If you have a gas stove, turn on a burner and position the peppers on the grate so that they are directly over the flame. If you have an electric stove, use a grill or put the peppers under the broiler.
- Continue to turn the peppers over the flame every couple minutes until the entire outside of the peppers are black and charred.
- When blackened, take the peppers and put them in a paper bag. Put this paper bag inside a plastic bag. Close the bags and let the peppers sit for about 10 minutes to allow the peppers to sweat.
- Take the peppers out of the bag. Cut them open and remove the seeds and top. Lay the pepper out flat on a cutting board. Use a knife to scrape the charred skin off of the peppers. The skin should peal off quite easily.
- Slice the peppers into strips and put in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, and rosemary to the bowl.
Ryan's rating of Roasted Red Peppers - 5
1 - Awful. If you make this again I'll shove a fork in my eye.
2 - Meh. It's not my favorite, but I won't threaten self-harm if it shows up again.
3 - Good. I wouldn't feel forced to order a pizza behind your back.
4 - Great! I will fight you for the leftovers.
5 - Love it! Make it again tomorrow. Or immediately and I will bathe in it.