Sardegna is a region that really agrees with my locale. The island has an interesting history in which seafood actually didn't play as strong as role as you would think. Sardegna was long vulnerable for invasion, and so in the past people often traveled inland for safety. This led to the island region having a diet that was heavy on things like pig and boar. However, seafood now plays a more focal role in Sardinian food. Rock lobster and sea urchins are among the seafood most commonly used. Living in Maine, I'm able to get fresh lobster quite easily, and sometimes for less per pound than I would pay for chicken. So the recipe that I found from Sardegna for Spaghetti with Lobster sounded perfect!
This is a really simple dish, made even simpler if you can buy lobster tails or chunk lobster tail meat rather than cooking a cutting apart an entire lobster. The sauce is made from white wine (or fish broth), tomatoes, and onion. This gives the dish a taste that is reminiscent of the Brodetto soup that I made from Le Marche. This dish is absolutely delicious, and if you don't have easy (or cheap) access to lobster, you can easily make it with schrimp or scallops instead.
Spaghetti all'Aragosta - Spaghetti with Lobster
Adapted from La Cucina: The regional Cooking of Italy by the italian Academy of Cuisine, 2009
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
10 ounces diced tomatoes in their juices
1/2 cup white wine or fish broth
pinch red pepper flakes
3/4 to 1 pound lobster meat (If using full lobsters, this would be 1 to 2 lobsters totaling about 2 pounds)
1 pound spaghetti
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, along with the wine or fish stock and the red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook over medium heat about 15 - 20 minutes to thicken.
- With about 10 minutes left, add the lobster to the pan and finish cooking.
- While the sauce and lobster cook, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add salt. Cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce and lobster. Serve hot.
Ryan'sSue's rating of Spaghetti all'Aragosta/Spaghetti with Lobster - 5.