Hmmm...potato. Not the first ingredient that comes to mind when you think about making home-made pizza. Yet, this recipe from Puglia that creates a pizza dough out of potato actually works.
This dish is actually found in several forms throughout the region. Aside from being made as a normal pizza would be, I have also seen recipes that essentially make the pizza into a stuffed pizza of sorts. The dough is again made from potatoes, but it is then topped with onions and tomatoes and then topped with another layer of dough. I made an attempt at this recipe, but we're going to file that in the "Things We Shall Never Mention Again" drawer. Try as I might, the stuffed potato pizza or pizza rustica recipe simply did not come out right. I was happy to have a successful attempt at this recipe from Rustico Cooking.
While this recipe calls for the pizza to be topped with oil, cheese, and tomato, I am tempted to add onions next time I make it. Onions are often found in Puglian cooking, so I think it would add just another Puglian flare to the pizza. This dish is great as an appetizer, so make several different kinds and put them out at your next party!
Adapted from Rustico Cooking
-Serves 6 as an appetizer-
2 small to medium russet potatoes
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, extra for greasing the pan
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
- Boil the potatoes until a fork slides into them easily, about 30-40 minutes. When done, peel the potatoes. When cool, put through a ricer.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the flour and salt with the potatoes. Mix until a dough forms. If the dough is not coming together, add a little water until it does.
- Grease a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Using your hands, spread the dough on the pan into a 12 inch circle.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the dough. Top with the tomato.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the cheeses, and bake for another 10 minutes.
Ryan's rating of Potato Pizza - 5. (This is a true Ryan's Rating.)