The name of these cookies, Brutti ma Buoni, is translated to Ugly but Good. Personally, I don't think that is entirely fair. Yes, they are a little lopsided and funny looking. But they also have a gorgeous golden cream color to them, and once in awhile you can spot an almond sticking out from the meringue shell. Ugly in a traditional sense, possibly. But warm and inviting none the less. And who is going to argue with a dessert that is so light you can easily eat several at once?
Brutti ma Buoni Cookies
Adapted from Food Network
-Makes about 18 cookies-
1/2 pound sliced almonds
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 large egg whites
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Lightly toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl or with a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until they begin to form medium-stiff peaks.
- Slowly add the sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Whisk until the mixture forms medium-stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the almonds.
- Use a tablespoon to gently spoon out the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet. Leave one inch between the cookies. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Lower the temperature to 250 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies and let cool.
Ryan's rating of Brutti ma Buoni Cookies - 5